Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

We’ve come through the season of Advent and Christmas, and now celebrate Epiphany. Epiphany marks the revelation of the Christ child to the Gentiles, as personified by the Magi. In the Hispanic community, Epiphany Sunday is known as Three Kings Day. Children leave their shoes out so that the Kings will leave them presents. In some Orthodox Christian communities, Epiphany is connected, not with the arrival of the Magi, but with the baptism of Jesus. In these Orthodox Christian traditions, Epiphany ceremonies involve the ritual blessing of water. These varied customs all point to God’s self-revelation, through the incarnation of Jesus, to humankind.

At the same time, we leave 2009, with all its trials and all its blessings, behind. For many, the trials of the past year have weighed heavily – and yet, even amid struggle and hardship, God has brought us through. A new year, 2010, awaits – a new year with untold possibilities and promise, a new year with new opportunities to love God and neighbor.

What will 2010 bring? In the coming year, how and where will God be revealed? How will we experience the coming of the Christ in our lives, in the life of our congregation, in our beloved community of Bridesburg? What strangers from the East – or West or South or North, from far away or from just next door - may come to Emanuel Church, asking where they can find Jesus, seeking to adore the Christ, seeking “God with us”?

Only God knows the answers to these questions. Come what may, may we walk in the confidence that our loving God watches over us and cares for us. May these words from the prayer known as the St. Francis Breastplate bring us comfort in days ahead:

Christ be with me, Christ within me
Christ behind me, Christ before me
Christ beside me, Christ to win me
Christ to comfort me and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger
Christ in hearts of all that love me
Christ in mouth of friend or stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment